Chapter 4 – Maria
We learn that most clones have their mind destroyed at birth and are treated like animals. Matt is different, he is El Patron’s clone. El Patron is rich and powerful and used his money to ensure Matt grew up like a real boy. Emilia shows the apathy of most people to clones by saying “clones aren’t people,” and the maid Rosa repeatedly says “filthy clone.”
When Matt’s identity is determined, the doctor brings him into the servant’s quarters and treats his injuries. Celia is not allowed to see him. However, Maria sneaks in to visit him. She brings him food and will stay with him for the night – getting her into a lot of trouble. Matt does not know what a clone is, but understands he is hated.
- How do the children describe clones?
- Why is Matt brought back inside?
- Where is Matt taken?
- How does Rosa treat Matt?
- Will Celia be coming to see Matt?
- In a complete sentence(s), describe Maria.
- How is Maria different than the others? What does she do for Matt?
- Why do you think Celia told Matt stories about chupacabras and other monsters?
- Why does Maria stay with Matt? What are the consequences of this decision?
- At this point, what is Matt’s state of mind?