Chapter 7 – Teacher
We learn Matt doesn’t like to leave apartment too often because of how he is treated by the other people living in the Big House. Tom routinely visits Matt along with Maria, and Matt and Tom get in a fight, broken up by Tam Lin. Matt then wanted both Maria and Tom to leave.
Maria and the other children left the Big House to go away to school. Tam Lin tells Matt criticism) that El Patron has made choices to live his life the way he has – “Very Dark indeed is his majesty…” (p 70). Matt is provided with a teacher (an eejit). The Teacher learns that Matt still is not talking. Matt is finally motivated to speak due to a combination of frustration with the Teacher and poor self esteem. The Teacher doesn’t understand Matt’s reaction, and is escorted out by Tam Lin. Matt doesn’t understand what is meant by Tam Lin’s description of her as an eejit. Tam Lin promises to take Matt on a picnic to celebrate the fact he is now talking.
- In a complete sentence(s), describe Tom.
- Who stops the fight between Tom and Matt?
- What is the reaction to Matt wanting Maria and Tom to go?
- What was a “little off” about Tom?
- In a complete sentence(s), describe Tam Lin.
- Why did the doctor visit more? What power did it give to Matt?
- Why is Maria leaving?
- What is Matt and Maria’s relationship like?
- How does Tam Lin describe El Patron? Choices?
- The Doctor once told Rosa “clones go to pieces when they get older” (p. 71). What do you think this means?
- In a complete sentence(s), describe "Teacher."
- What made Matt finally talk? Why?
- What did Matt say? What does that say of his self-esteem?
- How will they celebrate this event?