This was a short, but pretty meaty chapter. Volcanic ash has turned cool fall weather into sub-zero conditions. Miranda's family has moved downstairs and are trying to conserve what food they have. Most notable in this chapter is we learn that Megan and her mother have both died and Megan learns what a hypocrite Megan's pastor is.
- What utility has been shut off? How has it effected Miranda's family?
- What volunteer job has Matt taken in town? How does Miranda's mother feel about this?
- What has happened to Megan? How do you think Megan died?
- How did Megan's mother, Mrs. Wayne, die? How did Reverend Marshall treat her body in comparison to Megan?
- Why does Miranda call Reverend Marshall "despicable?" (p. 222) Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
- Who was Miranda skating with?
- Having a space to call your own is important. How has losing her room for the winter effected Miranda? How would it effect you if you were in Miranda's shoes?