Mrs. Nesbitt has died and Miranda's family has taken all they could from the house before other neighbors could loot the house. Life continues for the family with the additional supplies and Matt, Jonny and Miranda attempt to complete some schoolwork.
- After Mrs. Nesbitt dies, Miranda goes through her kitchen cabinets and says doing so makes her “feel like a cannibal?” (p. 240) Why does she feel this way?
- What utility does Mrs. Nesbitt still have that the family does not?
- On p. 247, Miranda said "And we toasted the best friend we'll ever have." Whom is she talking about and why?
- How has home schooling been going for Matt, Miranda and Jonny?
- Why doesn't Miranda want to study French?
- What has happened to Mrs. Nesbitt's house in the days since her death?