This chapter continued to deal with change and loss, particularly people leaving Miranda's life, at least in the short term. Dad and Lisa are moving, Dan is being sent off with his father to strike out on his own and Sammi is running off with her forty year old boyfriend.
There is an interesting contrast in this chapter. Mom is doing everything she can to keep Matt, Jonny and Miranda healthy and the family together while her friends are departing for the good of those who stay behind in Pennsylvania. Others leave with the hope things are better in the south.
- Why does Sammi leave town with forty-year-old George? How does Miranda feel about this?
- What is Dan's father's plan for Dan? Why do you think he is doing this?
- How has the changing weather effected animals at the farm Jonny had to work at?
- Jonny is the first to verbally express the idea "Are we all going to die?" How does everyone at the dinner party respond to this?
- If you were Miranda, what options about the future might you be considering at this point?