Chapter 19 (p. 247-261)
Katniss ponders the true meaning of Peeta’s actions and surveys the field of six remaining in the games: Peeta, “Foxface,” Thresh, and Cato and the girl from District II. Katniss goes in search of Peeta and finds him camouflaged near the stream. She does her best to nurse his wounds and develops and understanding that playing up the “romance” between the “star-crossed lovers” is the best way to secure more sponsors.
- What does Katniss perceive as the consequences of not allying with Peeta?
- What does Katniss realize about Peeta’s actions so far in the Games?
- Who are the only others to benefit from the Games’ rule change?
- What are Peeta’s injuries? How has he kept alive?
- What “first” does Katniss have?
- What message is Haymitch trying to send via the sponsors’ gift of broth?